Home Pay Your Bill Community Vacation History Testimony News and Events Contact Us Ordinances

Churches


Carthage's churches don't just function to provide religious instruction. They are cornerstones that help transform Carthage from a town into a community. Even for those who don't attend church, their presence in the community makes an impact and an improvement to everyone's lives.



Carthage is home to two churches,

Congregational UCC and Trinity Lutheran.


Congregational UCC
Box 144
Carthage, SD 57323

The Carthage United Church of Christ is served by Rev. Dick Poppen. The Carthage UCC was organized in 1886 and served a congregation who had no permanent meeting place. The building, still in use today, was originally built in Esmond, SD. It was bought by the Carthage Congregation and moved to it's present location in 1896. Renovations took place in 1913 with The Ladies Aid assuming responsibility for payment and making the decisions as to the changes. The local congregation observed one hundred years of services in this building in Carthage on the first Sunday of August 1996. The UCC is an open Church and visitors are always welcome.


Worship services are at 8:30 AM on Sundays. Hours of worship may vary due to weather conditions or scheduling.  Please contact Myrna Miller at 605/772-5662 for current Sunday worship schedule.



Trinity Lutheran Church (ELCA)
200 S. Buell St.
Carthage, SD 57323
(605) 772-4137
(605) 772-4146 (parsonage)

The Trinity Lutheran Church is served by Pastor LeShea Avery.

Sunday worship and Sunday school are on a rotation basis with First Lutheran of Artesian and Immanuel Lutheran of rural Iroquois, which comprise the Prairie Lutheran Parish. Trinity Congregation and the Church building are the result of a merging of the Zion Lutheran (Swedish) and the Norwegian Lutheran Church in 1947.


Please call for exact times for worship and Sunday school hours.