1909 At the beginning of the century, Carthage had a growing population of 500. It
boasted a newly completed sewer system, artesian water supply, electric lights, $15,000
school house, and an $18,000 bank was in construction.
1916 Carthage's population reached 700. It was home to Catholic, Federated, Norwegian,
and Swedish Lutheran churches, 2 banks, 5 grain elevators, a flour mill, 2 creameries,
an opera house, an electric light plant, and waterworks. The town also featured a
Today Carthage's population hovers around 140. Thanks to the tenacity of the community,
a convenience store, bank, two restaurants, museum and many other businesses continue
to be supported by the town.